▪ Prepared and prosecuted U.S. and foreign patent applications in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry, and food chemistry for 19 years.
▪ Extensive work with polymer chemistry (particularly in a coatings context), mineral technology, enzyme technology, nanotechnology, agricultural chemistry, and specialty chemicals for use in the microelectronic industry.
▪ Responsible for over 900 live patent and trademark files globally.
Email: Ms. Bornman
▪ Assists corporate clients in managing and evaluating their global intellectual property portfolios.
▪ Evaluates competitive landscapes to aid companies in identifying technology gaps presenting research and business opportunities and in managing risks in crowded technology areas.
▪ Drafts corporate intellectual property policies and procedures, and assists clients with implementation thereof.
▪ Provides in-house intellectual property training to client personnel regarding invention harvesting, technology assessment, and patent basics.
▪ Significant portion of practice devoted to protecting corporate intellectual property outside the U.S., particularly in Europe and Asia.
▪ Counsels clients regarding licensing, due diligence, and trade secret matters.
- Drake University Law School – Juris Doctor, with high honors, 1997
- University of Missouri-Rolla – Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, with an emphasis in Biochemistry, 1993
- Missouri Bar Association (MoBar)
- Kansas Bar Association (KBA)
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA)
- Board of Directors, 2008
- Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City (AWL)
- Board of Directors, 2002-2008
- President, 2007
- Association for Women Lawyers Foundation (AWLF)
- Founding Director
- Board of Directors, 2008-present
- Treasurer, 2008-2016
- President, 2017
- Sheffield Place (Transitional living and training facility for single women with children)
- Board of Directors, 2005-2007
- Lawyers Encouraging Academic Performance (LEAP)
- Board of Directors, 2007-2008
- Federal Court Advocates
- Founding Committee, 2008
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1998
- Missouri, 1997
- Kansas, 2008
Honors and Achievements
- Women's Justice Awards, Business Practitioner, Missouri Lawyers Weekly, 2011
- Best of the Bar, Intellectual Property Law, 2005, 2007-2015 (as voted by Kansas City-area attorneys)
- Women Who Mean Business Award, Kansas City Business Journal, 2007
- President's Award, Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City, 2005