Crissa represents large, medium, and small clients across the U.S., as well as several internationally-based corporations and institutions. Her practice focuses primarily on serving clients in the fields of chemistry, biotechnology and life sciences, medicine, food sciences, and the mechanical arts. She is also an Adjunct Professor of Patent Law and Patent Practice, and a frequent guest lecturer at the University of Kansas School of Law.
Email: Ms. Cook
Crissa joined Hovey Williams in 2005 as a clerk while pursuing her law degree. Her specialties include the preparation, prosecution, and licensing of U.S. and foreign patent applications. She also helps clients manage and evaluate their IP portfolios as well as those of their competitors, including the preparation of patentability, invalidity, and infringement analyses. Crissa also counsels clients regarding various IP agreements, investor due diligence, and trade secret matters. She finds the practice of Patent Law to be the perfect intersection of business, technology, and international law.
Presentations and Publications
- Presenter, Intellectual Property Update for the General Practitioner, Recent Developments in the Law, University of Kansas-School of Law, May 20, 2016.
- Presenter, Intellectual Property Management, Institute of Management Accountants, April 20, 2016.
- Presenter, Intellectual Property Issues, Women's Business Center, Kauffman FastTrac® Program, March 8, 2016.
- Presenter, Patent Eligibility of Natural Products, Lawyers Association of Kansas City, Annual IP CLE, February 25, 2016.
- Presenter, Patent Issue-Spotting for Trademark Lawyers, Association of Intellectual Property Firms, WebIPHour, February 23, 2016.
- Presenter, Advanced Patent Topics for Entrepreneurs – Patent Ownership & Inventorship, Global Entrepreneurship Week, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, November 12, 2015.
- Presenter & Panelist, 101 Post-Alice: How USPTO & Practitioners are Reacting, U.S. Patent & Trademark Office Legal Lecture and Expert Panel Discussion, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, July 23, 2015.
- Presenter, Technology Transfer and Intellectual Policy, Wichita State University Research and Technology Transfer Office Research Workshop Series, April 9, 2015.
- Presenter, Inventing 101: The Nuts and Bolts of Developing and Protecting an Invention, 2015 Business Booster Series, Wichita State University Center for Entrepreneurship, March 6, 2015.
- Presenter, IP Protection and Commercialization in Brazil, Russia, India, and China, Kansas State University, January 6, 2015.
- Presenter, To File or Not to File: Threshold Patent Application Disclosure Requirements and Post-Filing Evidence Admissibility in the U.S. and Foreign Countries, University of Missouri Patent Attorney | TTO Summit, September 11, 2014.
- Presenter, From Proof of Concept to Patent: The Nitty Gritty About The Patenting Process, Wichita State University, June 5, 2014.
- Presenter, Intellectual Property Update for the General Practitioner, University of Kansas School of Law, Recent Developments in the Law CLE, May 30, 2014.
- Workshop Presenter, Intellectual Property Issues, Women's Business Center, Kauffman FastTrac® Program, March 25, 2014.
- Author, Technology Licensing 101, Thinking Bigger Business, Vol. 22, Issue 12, December 2013.
- Presenter, Recent Developments in Patent Law, Kansas BIO CFO Roundtable Fall Conference, September 25, 2013.
- Presenter, Understanding Changes to 35 USC § 102 (prior art) under the America Invents Act, Lawyers Association of Kansas City's 5th Annual IP CLE, January 31, 2013.
- Featured Speaker, Executive Briefing: Patents and IP for CEOs, CFOs, and Scientific Officers of Bioscience Companies, Presented by KansasBIO, November 6, 2012.
- Presenter, Intellectual Property Law Practice, Heartland Paralegal Association Meeting, October 9, 2012.
- Presenter, Prometheus and the Future of Personalized Medicine and Software-Related Patents, Association of Intellectual Property Firms, WebIPHour, September 12, 2012.
- Presenter, Patent Reform: Impact of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act, Missouri Bar Solo & Small Firm Conference, June 8, 2012.
- Workshop Presenter, 2012 Professional Development Day, Stowers Institute for Medical Research, March 20, 2012.
- Presenter, Patent Reform: Impact of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act on the Bioscience Industry, Kansas Bioscience Authority Workshop, November 9, 2011.
- Presenter, Stanford v. Roche: Who Owns Your Biotechnology, Biolaw 5.0: Law at the Frontiers of Biology, University of Kansas Annual Biolaw Conference, October 21, 2011.
- Moderator, Fueling Innovation - Hot Topics in Patent Law & Policy, IP and Technology Transfer Symposium, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, October 14, 2011.
- Author, New FDA medical device reforms proposed, Orthopedics Today, March 2011.
- Presenter, Patents and Personalized Medicine, Biolaw 4.0: Law at the Frontiers of Biology, University of Kansas Annual Biolaw Conference, October 22, 2010.
- Presenter, Patenting and Prototyping Workshop, Metropolitan Community College School of Business and Technology, Fall 2009.
- Panelist, The Cutting Edge of Biotechnology Patent Law, Biolaw 3.0: Law at the Frontiers of Biology, University of Kansas Biolaw Symposium, November 6, 2009.
- Author, Constructive Criticism: Phillips v. AWH Corp. and the Continuing Ambiguity of Patent Claim Construction Principles, 55 U. Kan. L. Rev. 255 (2006).
- University of Kansas School of Law—Juris Doctor, 2007
- University of Kansas—Bachelor of Arts, Biology and French, with Highest Distinction, Honors, 2003
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Women’s Executive Club
- KC Animal Health Corridor Investment Forum Mentor/Ambassador
- Missouri Bar Association (MoBar)
- Kansas Bar Association (KBA)
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas Law Review
- Kappa Kappa Gamma Alumni Association
- Notre Dame de Sion Alumnae Association
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2009
- Kansas, 2008
- Missouri, 2007
Honor and Achievements
- Kansas Bar Association IP Attorney of the Year, 2013
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Scholastic Achievement (University of Kansas School of Law)